A wide variety of theological perspectives can be found at First Baptist. Which means any statement about what “First Baptist believes” needs the disclaimer that it is not necessarily the expressed beliefs of individuals in our community of faith. However, there are some theological concepts and themes that are predominant in our worship and life together. These themes, and many other theological convictions, can be seen most readily in the language and spirit of our worship together.
We talk about the triune God. God is one being in three persons – known as Father, Son and Holy Spirit or Creator, Christ and Holy Spirit.
We talk about how God came to earth in the person of Jesus Christ and saves us in the full sense of that word by his life, death and resurrection.
We talk about the Holy Spirit as God’s nearness to us and as the means by which we commune with Christ today.
We stress the importance of the church as a Spirit-formed community, and the continuation of the body of Christ on earth, working to further the kingdom of God.
We emphasize the life and teachings of Jesus as central to our faith.
We affirm that the Bible is a primary source for our beliefs and practice; one which is to be engaged with our minds and hearts.
We are a church that…
- …blends biblical faith with intellectual integrity, respecting a person’s right to think freely
- …values everyone’s gifts for service and leadership, both women and men
- ... welcomes people of every age, race, gender, economic reality and LGBTQ status. We believe that all people are created in the image of God; thus, all are welcomed to participate fully in the life of our church and can serve in leadership.
- …affirms spiritual experiences of new members from both Baptist and non-Baptist backgrounds
- …values different expression of worshiping God, both contemporary and liturgical
- …receives joy from intergenerational experiences and ministries
- …celebrates and promotes Christ’s call for social justice
- …seeks to make a difference in our community and world
- …is a family where joys, sorrows, hopes and dreams all meet at the table of our Lord
- …understands that unity does not require uniformity.
First Baptist is a place where everyone matters. Our commitment to one another and to Christ is reflected by the values of our Church Covenant. In community together, we strive to live our lives in a manner worthy of the gospel we profess.
We hope to see you in church very soon!